The history of Otakichi dates back to the “Meiji” era.
Otakichi was established by Wagashi Master Kichinosuke Ota in 1908 (Meiji 40). Kichinosuke was born in the village of Aiba in Shiga prefecture. At the age of 12, he applied for an apprenticeship with a Wagashi sensei and underwent very strict training. In 1908, at the age of 26, he finally started his own shop with the name “Otakichi”. Kichinosuke was reserved and strict and the wagashi he produced was deliciously sweet and special. Therefore, Otakichi became popular.
Kichizo, the 2nd master
Kichinosuke passed away in the year of 1943.
His first son, Kichizo Ota, inherited his will. Kichizo, born in 1925, became a teacher at the school nearby his home at the age of 18. Kichinosuke always wanted him to be his inheritor as a Wagashi Master, therefore Kichinosuke trained him from his childhood. After Kichinosuke passed away, Kichizo took over the Otakichi shop. He managed the shop and was a teacher both at the same time. He worked as a teacher in the morning and worked as Wagashi master after he went home.
One day when he was at the school, he was notified of a fire in the shop. He rushed to the shop after hearing the terrible news, but sadly it was too late as he found that the entire shop had burned down. This incident caused him to devote himself with new determination to being a Wagashi Master. He used all his savings to rebuild the shop and exercised tremendous effort to develop new products e.g. Husha Monaka and Dechi Yokan. These products were his masterpieces and were loved by many. They were also sold by many other Wagashi shops in the prefecture.